The Nampa School District’s Board of Trustees is accepting applications from eligible community member interested in filling the open Zone 2 seat. Application packets are due by noon on Tuesday, Feb. 22, at [email protected].
The seat opened on Jan. 31 when Mike Kipp resigned. The new board-appointed trustee will serve the rest of the Kipp’s term, through December 2023.
Days after Kipp’s resignation, Paula Kellerer abruptly resigned as superintendent and trustees named assistant superintendent Gregg Russell as interim superintendent. Nampa is Idaho’s third largest district and serves students and families in Canyon County. The district has had six superintendents in less than 10 years.
The board has three new members — Jeff Kirkman, Brook Taylor and Tracey Pearson — all elected in November. After being sworn into their roles in January, they voted in concert 3-2 to make Kirkman chair and Pearson vice-chair.
The board plans to ask voters to approve an $8 million levy proposal on the March 8 ballot.
To fill the open board seat, the candidate must be a registered voter in the school district with residency in Zone 2. Go here to see if you live in Zone 2.
The application packet must include a cover letter, resume, and responses to the following questions:
- Briefly explain your philosophy toward public education.
- What do you believe the Board of Trustees’ role should be in leading the district?
- What do you feel are the strengths and weaknesses of the District?
- What is your vision for the role of public education and, if appointed, what will your priorities be as a trustee?
- Do you have any specific changes you want to make to school district policies, programs, or various school curricula being offered? If so, what changes do you want to make and why?
- In your estimation, how much time do you believe is required to accomplish this role? How much time are you willing to commit to serving on the Board of Trustees?
- Do you have business dealings with the Nampa School District? If yes, please explain the nature of these dealings.
- Do you have relatives who work for the Nampa School District? If yes, please explain.
- If there is other information you would like the Board to consider in reviewing your application, please include it.
All discussions and deliberations of submitted applications will be done in open session. The district also asks applicants to keep the following in mind:
- Application packets must be received by noon on Feb. 22.
- Each trustee will review each application.
- Trustees will then discuss and narrow the number of candidates (if needed) at a special meeting on Feb. 28. Please watch for the posted notice for the time of this meeting.
- Candidates selected at the Feb. 28 special meeting will be scheduled for interviews during another special meeting to be scheduled the week of March 7.
- At that special meeting, a finalist will be selected, with the intention of issuing the Oath of Office at the March 14 regular board meeting.
Contact Nampa Board Clerk Krissy Lamont at [email protected] with questions.