Idaho passed the two-year mark in the pandemic with more encouraging case numbers.
From March 5 through Friday, the state and its seven health districts reported 5,560 new coronavirus cases. That’s close to 1,000 new cases a day — but Idaho’s lowest daily rate since late December.
All told, Idaho has tallied 438,267 confirmed or probable coronavirus cases.
Other weekly metrics:
Case backlog: Gradually decreasing.
The state says it still has about 3,400 positive laboratory results from late January or early February, “pending local public health district review and followup.” A week ago, the backlog was 8,200.
Child cases: Sharply decreasing.
From March 5 through Friday, the state reported 565 new cases involving school-age children — slightly less than 100 cases per day. The previous week, the state tallied close to 200 child cases per day.
Test positivity rate: It’s taken eight months, but this metric finally crossed an important threshold.
For the week ending March 5, the positivity rate fell to 3.7%.
The rate hasn’t been below 5% since July.
This is a key yardstick, because a rate below 5% suggests an outbreak is under control.
Hospitalizations: Mixed weekly trends, based on numbers from Wednesday.
Total COVID-19 hospitalizations: 136, down 35%.
ICU admissions: 30, up 17%.
Pediatric admissions: Four, unchanged from March 2.
Deaths: Another metric on the decrease.
The state reported 31 deaths from March 5 through Friday, down from 58 COVID-19 deaths from Feb. 26 through March 5.
Idaho’s COVID-19 death toll stands at 4,819.
Vaccination rate: 54.1%, for all Idahoans, ages 5 and up. (Last week, 54%.)
Booster shot rate: 44.4%, for all age groups. (Last week: 44.2%.)
Weekly case numbers from select school districts:
- Blaine County. Two student cases, down from a total of four.
- Boise. Ten positive cases, down from 16.
- Bonneville. No new data available.
- Coeur d’Alene. Two positive cases, down from three.
- Idaho Falls. No cases for the week ending March 4, down from one case the previous week.
- Kuna. No new data available.
- Moscow. No cases since Feb. 23.
- Nampa. Eight new cases, up from five.
- Pocatello-Chubbuck. Two cases, unchanged from the previous week.
- Twin Falls. No new data available.
- West Ada. One case in the five-day period ending Sunday, down from two the previous week.
Higher education thumbnails
Weekly campus case numbers:
- Boise State University. Ten cases, up from eight.
- Brigham Young University-Idaho. No active cases Sunday.
- College of Eastern Idaho. No current data available.
- College of Idaho. No new cases for the past two weeks.
- College of Southern Idaho. No new cases, down from one the previous week.
- College of Western Idaho. No recent cases.
- Idaho State University. Nine new cases, down from 12.
- Lewis-Clark State College. Two active cases, after no active cases the previous week.
- North Idaho College. One new case.
- Northwest Nazarene University. No cases last week, down from one case the previous week.
- University of Idaho. Three cases, down from five.
(More reading: Check our in-depth coverage of Idaho’s pandemic, two years in.)