With six weeks to go until Election Day, a group of 29 current and former Republican officials is endorsing Superintendent of Public Instruction Sherri Ybarra’s re-election bid.
Without making a formal announcement or issuing a press release, Ybarra’s campaign team unveiled the new list on her website over the weekend. The list includes five of Ybarra’s fellow GOP constitutional officers and more than 20 Republican legislators.
Prominent names on Ybarra’s endorsement list include Lt. Gov. Brad Little, the Republican nominee for governor. Senate Education Committee Chairman Dean Mortimer, R-Idaho Falls, retiring Joint Finance Appropriations Committee co-chairs Sen. Shawn Keough, R-Sandpoint, and Rep. Maxine Bell, R-Jerome, and House Education Committee Vice Chairman Patrick McDonald, R-Boise, are on the list.
Notably, retiring Republican Gov. Butch Otter, who Ybarra served alongside for the past four years, is not listed among Ybarra’s endorsements.
Ybarra’s list includes seven of 16 members of the House Education Committee and three of nine members of the Senate Education Committee.
On Nov. 6, Ybarra faces off against Democratic nominee Cindy Wilson in the race for state superintendent.
Wilson previously unveiled endorsements from the Idaho Education Association’s Political Action Committee for Education, the AFL-CIO, Rexburg Mayor Jerry Merrill and former Idaho Department of Corrections Director Kevin Kempf.
Ybarra’s endorsement list
- Lt. Gov. Brad Little
- Secretary of State Lawerence Denney (Denney’s name is misspelled on Ybarra’s website)
- State Controller Brandon Woolf
- Retiring Treasurer Ron Crane
- Attorney General Lawrence Wasden
- Sen. Bert Brackett, R-Rogerson
- Sen. Dean Mortimer, R-Idaho Falls
- Retiring Sen. Shawn Keough, R-Sandpoint
- Sen. Patti Anne Lodge, R-Huston
- Sen. Fred Martin, R-Boise
- Senate Majority Leader Chuck Winder, R-Boise
- Sen. Jim Patrick, R-Twin Falls
- Outgoing Sen. Bob Nonini, R-Coeur d’Alene
- Retiring Sen. Dell Raybould, R-Rexburg
- House Assistant Majority Leader Brent Crane, R-Nampa
- Rep. Terry Gestrin, R-Donnelly
- Rep. Ryan Kerby, R-New Plymouth
- Rep. Judy Boyle, R-Midvale
- Rep. Scott Syme, R-Caldwell
- Rep. Rick Youngblood, R-Nampa
- Rep. Patrick McDonald, R-Boise
- Retiring Rep. Maxine Bell, R-Jerome
- Rep. Steven Miller, R-Fairfield
- Rep. Barbara Ehardt, R-Idaho Falls
- Rep. Lance Clow, R-Twin Falls
- Rep. Paul Shepherd, R-Riggins
- Rep. Bryan Zollinger, R-Idaho Falls
- Former Rep. Janice McGeachin, R-Idaho Falls, the Republican nominee for lieutenant governor.