Education news from around Idaho

Chobani pays off lunch debt for Twin Falls students

Chobani, the yogurt company, offered to pay off the outstanding lunch debt for all students within the Twin Falls School District. Over the 2018-2019 year, unpaid meal charges totaled over $85,000.

During the school year, Twin Falls School District serves around 2,100 breakfasts and 5,600 lunches each day. The donation from Chobani will pay off all existing balances for students across the district.

Chobani, which has a plant in Twin Falls, reached out to the school district back in May, when they also stepped in to pay outstanding lunch debt at a school district in Rhode Island.

Chobani was named one of PEOPLE’s 50 Companies that Care in 2018.

Idaho Association for the Education of Young Children conference sees record attendance

The Idaho Association for the Education of Young Children set an attendance record at its 2019 conference with over 250 educators in attendance. This was the first year that the conference filled all its registration spots.

The Idaho AEYC supports individuals who care for, educate, and work on behalf of young children. The Professional Development Institute, which is the AEYC’s annual conference, offered workshops and keynotes on a variety of topics relating to young children’s education.

“This conference brings us together to learn, grow and reflect on the invaluable work you do every day,” Beth Oppenheimer, Idaho AEYC Executive Director, told attendees.

The conference, held at the Boise Center, featured workshops on different content areas such as infant and toddler curriculum, inclusive preschool practices, and integrating STEM in early childhood.

Small Idaho school district receives funding to increase Internet speeds

The Universal Services Fund (also called “E-Rate”), a nonprofit organization under the Federal Communication Commission, is funding the majority of a project to deliver internet access to Avery School District in Calder.

The project has been in the works for the past three years and is a result of collaborative efforts from the State Department of Education, Avery School District, and the Northwest Council for Computer Education.

“This is going to be a game changer for Avery School District and the 9,000 or so living along the roughly 35-mile route that will receive connectivity,” stated Heidi Rogers, CEO of the Northwest Council for Computer Education.

The project will greatly increase connectivity through fiber Internet. The enhanced access also will benefit the surrounding St. Joe Valley.

“Currently, our students and the surrounding rural communities do not have reliable access to the Internet and often do not have cell service,” said Avery School District Superintendent Robert Vian.

The project is estimated to cost more than $2.8 million, and USAC will fund 95 percent of the cost, while the other 5 percent will be funded through the Broadband Infrastructure Improvement Grant (BIIG) from the State Department of Education.

2019 Idaho Governor’s Cup Scholarship Recipients Announced

Some 37 Idaho high school seniors from schools across the state won $3,000 toward their education from the 2019 Governor’s Cup scholarship.

This year marked the 44th iteration of the Governor’s cup, a scholarship fund that raises money through a golf tournament and various other social activities each year. Those funds are then awarded to Idaho seniors pursuing further education in Idaho.

The recipients were selected from a pool of over 1,000 applicants by the Governor’s Cup Scholarship Fund’s board of directors. The students were chosen because of their commitment of public service, academic achievement, leadership, and community involvement.

“We are so proud of the recipients of the 2019 Governor’s Cup scholarships. They are part of the next generation of Idaho leaders, and their commitment to their neighbors, communities, and the state will be a part of them throughout their lives,” said Governor Brad Little “Thank you to the generous sponsors and donors whose contributions to this important scholarship program help Idaho students in their educational pursuits.”

The scholarship is renewable for up to four years, or two to three years for career-technical programs.

For a full list of recipients and more information about the scholarships, visit the Governor’s Cup website.


Cameron Arnzen

Cameron Arnzen

Get EdNews in your inbox

Weekly round up every Friday