Former state Sen. Russ Fulcher is claiming a fund-raising edge in the wide-open race in Idaho’s 1st Congressional District.
The Fulcher campaign has raised more than $408,000 in the seven-way Republican primary on May 15.
Here’s a closer look at the GOP money race in the 1st District:
- Fulcher: The Meridian Republican has raised $408,759 and spent $277,561. Cash on hand: $131,198. His fundraising includes a $35,000 loan to his campaign. Notable supporters include former state superintendent Tom Luna; Boise City Council member T.J. Thomson and several sitting legislators: Sen. Steve Vick of Dalton Gardens; Sen. Clifford Bayer of Boise; Rep. Thyra Stevenson of Lewiston: and Rep. Sage Dixon of Ponderay.
- David Leroy: The former attorney general and lieutenant governor has raised $291,730 and spent $168,175. His cash on hand is $123,555. Notable supporters include Boise lobbyist Roy Eiguren, Boise Republican Dennis Mansfield and Patricia Kempthorne, the wife of former U.S. Sen. and Gov. and Interior Secretary Dirk Kempthorne.
- Luke Malek: The outgoing state representative from Coeur d’Alene has raised $199,940 and spent $161,446. His cash on hand is $38,494. Supporters include former U.S. Sen. Larry Craig and State Board of Education member Don Soltman. He also has received support from three House Republicans: Ryan Kerby of New Plymouth; Fred Wood of Burley; and Rick Youngblood of Nampa.
- Michael Snyder: The Bonners Ferry writer has raised $115,284 and spent $79,977. Cash on hand: $35,308.
- Christy Perry: The outgoing state representative from Nampa has raised $11,930 and spent $7,951, and has $3,979 on hand. Supporters include Rep. Marc Gibbs of Grace and Lauren Necochea, director of the Idaho Center for Fiscal Policy.
- Nick Henderson: The Post Falls Republican has raised $1,277 and spent $701, and has $2,076 on hand.
- Alex Gallegos: The Nampa Republican reported no fundraising activity.
On the Democratic side, only James Vandermaas of Eagle reported any fundraising activity. He has raised $15,122 and spent $6,998, leaving $8,124 on hand. Cristina McNeil of Boise and Michael Smith of Post Falls reported no contributions or expenditures.
The 1st District candidates are vying to succeed outgoing U.S. Rep. Raul Labrador, who is running for governor on the GOP ticket.
More reading: Find out more about the candidates on our elections page.