CALDWELL — Caldwell High senior Angelina Goodson took one step closer to her dream of becoming a forensic scientist.
She was named a National Hispanic Scholar by the College Board based on her PSAT test scores. She scored a 1,330 out of 1,600 on her SAT test.
Each year, only 5,000 of the 250,000 Hispanic students who take the PSAT exam are named a National Hispanic Scholar. To participate in the program, students must score in the top 2.5 percent among Hispanic and Latino PSAT takers in their region as well as earn a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher.
“She’s more than bookish — if she has any down time at school, she pursues reading with an unquenchable passion, which has served her well, which her latest recognition demonstrates,” said Bret Fowler, the librarian at Caldwell High.
Angelina owns a 4.0 grade-point average and juggles two advanced-placement classes. She was accepted to the College of Idaho to study biology and minor in anthropology, chemistry and psychology. She hopes to be the first one in her family to graduate from college.
“Minoring in so many different subjects gives me time to learn more about the world,” Angelina said.
Inspired by the TV show “Criminal Minds,” Angelina wants to become a forensic scientist.
“A crime scene is a puzzle to me,” Angelina said. “I want to help solve crimes and give families justice.”
When Angelina isn’t watching crime shows, she is reading. She owns more than 300 books and considers her room a mini-library.
“As an introvert, being surrounded by books is a comforting thing,” Angelina said
Angelina volunteers at the West Valley Humane Society.
Fun facts about Angelina Goodson
- Favorite drink? Cherry coke, I think I’m a bit addicted to the drink — just a bit
- What are the first three songs on your current music playlist? “Boulevard of Broken Dreams” by Green Day, “Blow Me Away” by Breaking Benjamin, “SOAR” by Devour the Day
- You just got a free plane ticket to go anywhere. Where are you going? I’d go to England and tour everywhere I could. It seems like a fascinating country to explore.
- Three things you can’t live without? Music, books and Cherry Coke
- Who is your favorite teacher? It’s really hard to choose a favorite teacher because I like almost every teacher I’ve ever had in high school
- Favorite emoji?