Caroline Suppiger has been a regular visitor to Canada since she was 1. Her father owns a post-and-poll mill in Cranbrook, B.C., so the family lives just 60 miles from the border in Sandpoint. Suppiger fell in love with the Canadian mountains over the years during family vacations and work trips. Canada and its people have inspired her to travel the world and become an international diplomat.
“I want to learn how countries have relationships,” said the Sandpoint High senior. “I want to make a difference.”
Besides being a North America traveler, Suppiger juggles many school activities. She’s class valedictorian, senior class president, president of National Honors Society, lifestyle editor of the school newspaper and the president of the Idaho Association of Student Councils.
She found her niche in student council, though it wasn’t a path taken by her two older siblings.
“When I first joined student government my parents were skeptical because my siblings weren’t part of it,” Suppiger said. “I’m not filling their shoes and student council is my own thing I have passion for.”
Suppiger, who owns a 4.49 weighted grade-point average, applied to 13 colleges across the East Coast but hopes to get into her dream school — Dartmouth College. She plans to study international business or political science.
“Caroline is successful because she’s intelligent. She meets the criteria necessary to move forward academically and uses the clubs and organizations she’s involved in to reach even further heights,” said Malia Meschko, a Computer Aided Design teacher at Sandpoint High School.
Suppiger hopes to study abroad in New Zealand or Asia to experience life in other countries, all to prepare for her dream job of becoming a diplomat for Canada.
“I love Canada,” Suppiger said. “The Canadian people are so accepting.”
“I know so many students are focused on academics, but I enjoy having the versatile part of myself that I’m involved in many things,” Suppiger said. “My high school career has prepared me for my future.”
Fun facts about Caroline Suppiger
- Favorite drink? Fitzes root beer
- Favorite sport to watch? Ski racing
- You just got a free plane ticket to go anywhere. Where are you going? I would go to India because the people there have such deep roots and beliefs. I want to see how they live and help out as much as I can.
- Three things you can’t live without? I can’t live without quality conversations, support from my family and friends and my mothers quality homemade cooking.
- Who is your favorite teacher? My Sandpoint High School pre-calculus teacher, Nachele Search.